Journalism And Mass Comm Majors Wanted: Apply Now Until Nov. 15 For $2,500 Scholarship
Journalism and mass communication majors—claim money now for tuition assistance! Applications are being accepted until Nov. 15, 2022, for the 4th annual $2,500 journalism scholarship program sponsored by the Hawaii Filipino Chronicle.
– Filipino or part-Filipino
– U.S. citizen
– Hawaii high school graduate
– Full-time college student (at least 12 credits undergraduate/non-graduating senior) enrolled at an accredited four-year public or private college/university in the United States by the 2022 fall semester (preference is given to local students but mainland students intending to return to Hawaii and work in local media after graduation are encouraged to apply)
– Journalism, mass communications or media-related major (declared on transcript)
– 3.0 cumulative GPA (on 4.0 scale)
Please send the following directly to email@example.com by the Nov. 15 deadline.
– Completed application form (download from the website)
– Copy of recent college transcript (finalists may send official transcripts later for verification)
– Two reference forms (also downloadable from the website)
– Two news or feature writing samples with interviews—one story must focus on a Filipino topic (please no reviews, Q&A style, listicles, first-person accounts, opinion pieces or fiction) [may email attachments or provide weblinks]
– 1,000-word essay (details on the application form)
One winner will be selected by the scholarship committee and notified by December 2022. He/she will be profiled in an article with excerpts of his/her essay published in the Chronicle. Part of the scholarship money ($2,000) must be used toward the spring semester.
The remaining $500 will be paid to the winner after he/she writes at least one story per season (a total of four articles) to be published throughout 2023, giving him/her more practice to showcase his/her writing skills and get established as a professional journalist.
For more information and details, visit the Chronicle journalism scholarship webpage at https://www.thefilipinochronicle.com/scholarship.