Hawaii Expands Pre-Travel Testing Program To Taiwan, Southern California
Travelers from Taiwan and Southern California’s Ontario International Airport may now bypass the State of Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine as long as they take a mandatory COVID-19 test from a trusted testing facility.
The test must be taking within 72 hours prior to departure and the negative test result must be submitted prior to departure for Hawaii.
“Historically, the traveler from Taiwan to Hawaiʻi has been mindful of our local ways and cultural traditions. In 2019, prior to the pandemic, visitors from Taiwan spent approximately $251 per person per day while in Hawaii. At a time when we seek to rebuild our economy while keeping our residents safe, the expansion of the pre-travel testing program to Taiwan is welcomed news,” said John De Fries, president and CEO of the Hawaii Tourism Authority.
The Hawaii Department of Health has approved the use of COVID-19 Nucleic Acid Amplification Test for Taiwan’s pre-travel test which is conducted by the Taiwan Ministry of Health and Welfare. Here is the list of the trusted testing partners in Taiwan:
– Cathay General Hospital, https://www.cgh.org.tw/
– Sijhih Cathay General Hospital, https://sijhih.cgh.org.tw/
– Hsinchu Cathay General Hospital, https://hsinchu.cgh.org.tw/
– Chang Gung Memorial Hospital – Taipei, https://www1.cgmh.org.tw/branch/tpe/index.htm
– Chang Gung Memorial Hospital – Linkou, https://www1.cgmh.org.tw/branch/lnk/2016/
– Chang Gung Memorial Hospital – Kaohsiung, https://cghdpt.cgmh.org.tw/branch/jia
– Mackay Memorial Hospital, https://www.mmh.org.tw/home.php?area=tp
– Mackay Memorial Hospital – Tamsui, https://www.mmh.org.tw/home.php?area=ts
– Hsinchu Mackay Memorial Hospital, http://www.hc.mmh.org.tw/webhc/index.html#
– Mackay Memorial Hospital – Taitung, http://ttw3.mmh.org.tw/#
However, there are currently no direct flights from Taiwan to Hawaii at this time but the pre-travel testing program is still useful for passengers arriving in Hawaii via other international or U.S. mainland cities.
“It’s delightful to see Taiwan becoming a trusted testing and travel partner with Hawaii, as the pre travel testing program is moving one step forward. Such effort will definitely encourage more travelers via Taipei – Honolulu flights, and help to promote economic activities with a safe path,” said Jessica Pan, GM of China Airlines Honolulu Branch Office, the sole airlines serving direct flights on this route.
Taiwanese nationals that travel abroad are still subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival to the country. Travel restrictions on the U.S. travel to Taiwan remain in place.